Friday, January 23, 2015

Progress



Xena has been back with me for almost 2 weeks.  She is doing much better.  And so am I. 
She tests the boundaries every day.  Hourly.  Hell, every couple of minutes.  But, she is getting in line and is improving.

She is so darned smart.  You teach her something and she gets it.  Learning new things is fun for her.
It’s been so cold out that our long walks have become quick jaunts around the building.  I took her to the dog park the other day, which was pretty much just an olfactory field trip.  She went after one snowball, then decided sniffing was more fun.  Halfway home, the poor thing started limping.  Stupid ice and snow.

Indoors we play fetch, or hide and seek with her treats.  I’ve tried chasing her or having her chase me, but that ends up with her getting sooooo ramped up and it’s too hard to settle her back down.
I need to find a few dogs to go over to dog park with us.  There is nothing like exerting a dog’s energy, than by playing with another dog.  There is this one dog named Nina who lives in the building next to mine.  Xena and her played for about a half an hour once, with no aggression, and she slept for hours after that.  I haven’t seen Nina since.  We met another dog name Rutger.  He is 2 and full of energy.  We were on our way back from dog park, with Xena limping, when we ran into Rutger..who really really wanted to play.  So, will be keeping my eyes peeled.

She bit me in play yesterday but it REALLY hurt.  Her tooth hit a small bone in my hand.  Ouch.  Same hand that I was bit on by another dog once.  Same hand that was smacked into the marble wall outside our elevators.  Sigh.

Xena is headed to the foster’s home this weekend as I am heading to Pittsburgh to play some poker.  Amanda is a wonderful person and I’m very lucky to have her around.  I hope Xena is good for her.  She leaves tonight at 5:30 and will be home on Sunday morning.  

I’m donating 10% of whatever I win in Pittsburgh to RescueK911.  Gives me more incentive to play well.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

No comments:

Post a Comment